TOU at the 2018 Parliament of the World’s Religions
The Temple of Understanding is thrilled to be presenting four programs, collaborating on another, and having our representative to the UN speak at still two more programs at the upcoming Parliament of the World’s Religions in Toronto, November 1-7, 2018.
Our first program on Friday features our colleagues at the United Nations, for a more nuanced conversation following our introductory program last Parliament.
- Religion and the Work of the United Nations, Friday 2:15pm, Room 714A
This will be the second Parliament where we have worked to bring Dr. Vandana Shiva, with her prophetic wisdom combining science and activism towards earth democracy. Theologian Carol Christ writes that Vandana Shiva “is telling women to confront ‘deceitful, dishonest, brutal power.’ She is telling women to teach those who rule the world how to live with nature, how to share, how to care.” (Read more: A Prophet in Our Midst: Vandana Shiva by Carol P. Christ) Women, as the majority of farmers in the world, need access to land ownership to protect localized agriculture from the devastating impacts of industrial agriculture.
Programs featuring Vandana Shiva and other stellar speakers include:
- Women of Faith Speak Out: Towards Resetting the Global Moral Compass, Saturday 2:15 pm, Room 718A
- Vandana Shiva and Friends on Earth Democracy, Sunday 12:15 pm, Room 701A (collaboration with Dr. Kusumita Pederson of the Interfaith Center of New York)
- Seeds and Seedlings: Agents of Change, Monday 2:15 pm, Room 701A
The TOU will also present:
- Roots of Change: Food Sovereignty, Women and Eco-Justice, Tuesday 6:00 pm, Room 103A
Our UN Representative Grove Harris will speak during the following additional sessions:
- Are Our Stained Glass Ceilings Cracking Yet? Women and Leadership in the World of Interfaith, Saturday 12:15 pm, Room 718A
- Interfaith Engagement: Past, Present, and Future, Tuesday 12:15pm, Room 701A