The Interfaith Consortium for Ecological Civilization (ICEC) is a consortium of religious and secular organizations dedicated to ecological civilization.
ICEC’s organizing partners are the Temple of Understanding, GreenFaith, the Forum of Religion and Ecology at Yale University, and the International Communities for the Renewal of the Earth, in consultation with the New York office of the United Nations Environmental Program. The mission of ICEC is to facilitate a dialogue among the various sectors of society on ecological civilization, gather wisdom from this dialogue that will inspire and guide individuals and social transformations, and lead in the transition to an ecological civilization.
Pollution kills more than 1.7 million young children every year — roughly one in four deaths of all children under five. This initiative by the UN Environment Assembly strives for a pollution-free planet. Click to sign the pledge, learn to reduce your footprint, and share educational materials.
Six key points within the Interfaith Climate Change Statement:
- Urge governments to rapidly sign, ratify and implement the Paris Agreement, and to increase pledges to reduce emissions in line with keeping the global temperature rise to 1.5C above pre-industrial levels;
- Insist on rapid emissions reduction and peaking by 2020, in order to keep the 1.5C goal within reach;
- Strongly advocate for greater flows of finance, especially for adaptation and loss and damage;
- Urge the swift phase out of all fossil fuel subsidies and a transition to 100% renewable energy by 2050;
- Encourage faith communities to reduce emissions in their homes, workplaces and centres of worship and to support and stand in solidarity with communities already impacted by climate change; and
- Call for fossil fuel divestment and reinvestment in renewables and low carbon solutions, including within our own communities, and/or by engaging companies on climate change.
Recent Faith Statements on Climate Change
- Hindu Declaration on Climate Change, November 23th 2015 (www.bhumiproject.org)
- Buddhist Climate Change Statement to World Leaders, October 29th 2015 (www.gbccc.org)
- Statement of Faith and Spiritual Leaders, October 20th 2015 (http://actalliance.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/COP21_Statement_englisch2.pdf)
- Islamic Climate Change Declaration, August 18th 2015 (www.islamicclimatedeclaration.org)
- Pope Francis’s encyclical, Laudato Si’: On Care for Our Common Home, June 18th 2015 (www.w2.vatican.va)
- Lambeth Declaration 2015 on Climate Change, June 16th 2015 (www.churchofengland.org/media-centre/news/2015/06/archbishop-of-canterbury-join-faith-leaders-in-call-for-urgent-action-to-tackle-climate-change.aspx)
- Pagan Community Statement on the Environment, April 22nd 2015 (ecopagan.com)
- Interfaith Summit Statement, September 21st 2014 (www.interfaithclimate.org)
- Sikh Statement on Climate Change, September 18th, 2014 (www.arcworld.org/downloads/Sikh-Statement-on-Climate-Change.pdf)